Psychotherapy programs for addiction augment mental health through talk therapy–the exploration of moods, feelings, thought patterns, and choices. Patients build adaptive relationships, broaden perspectives, and make different choices through processing with trained and trusted mental health providers. Hillsides Cares offers a range of mental health programs for adolescents and families, including individual therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, trauma-informed care, and group therapy. We also know what works for one person may differ for another; because each client is unique, our adolescent psychotherapy programs cater to your teen’s specific needs.
Researching mental health programs in California can feel daunting and intimidating, and the decision to try psychotherapy feels like stepping into the unknown. At Hillsides Cares, we can help. Learn more about what type of mental health programs will benefit you or your loved ones.
A Range of Psychotherapy Programs
Psychotherapy has proven effective for mental health disorders and co-occurring disorders (substance abuse and mental health disorders). At Hillside Cares, evidence-based and proven results always guide the selection process. The main categories of psychotherapy include:
- Individual psychotherapy – Sessions involve one-on-one interaction with a therapist and guide clients to uncover thoughts, feelings, motivations, and reasoning. Individual psychotherapy involves a heightened understanding of cause and effect and movement toward more adaptive choices.
- Group therapy – This methodology involves a therapist and a group of individuals with common challenges or similar goals. Peer support develops stronger relationships, a safe space for new behaviors, and new coping skills, as adolescents benefit from collective interaction key to the teen years.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – A popular, results-focused methodology, CBT hinges on the recognition of unhealthy thoughts and behavior patterns and the ability to make adaptive choices to effect different results.
- Trauma-informed therapy – By identifying and acknowledging the presence and symptoms of trauma, therapists work with clients to move through stages of healing.
Above all, no matter the methodology, a strong relationship between therapist and client is crucial for building trust and going deep. Further, strengthening relationships in a therapeutic setting helps clients deepen other interpersonal relationships.
How to Maximize Mental Heath Therapy
Like all things worth doing, improvement takes time and effort. When embarking on mental health therapy, commitment to the process is crucial. Acknowledging when things aren’t working and asking for help are courageous first steps, but sticking with the process is imperative once you begin psychotherapy.
When pursuing a psychotherapy program, things may feel new, scary, and overwhelming. Uncovering feelings and sharing trauma isn’t easy. As our Hillsides Cares therapists know, allowing for adjustment and discomfort is part of the process. While navigating the ups and downs of healing, you’ll learn how to maximize the mental health therapy process. Things to keep in mind:
- Expect active listening, not advice. Your therapist is there to absorb, observe, and guide you to self-knowledge. The goal is to help you discover ways and means to help yourself!
- Work toward specific goals. Determine key outcomes as opposed to tackling everything at once. Get specific, and focus on meeting those goals. By knowing what we want to accomplish through our mental health therapy program, we maximize both process and progress. And progress increases motivation.
- Commit to vulnerability. Honesty is crucial to any client-therapist relationship; in moving toward healing, truth matters. Your therapist’s office is a safe space to reveal thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Maximize your time by sharing what’s on your mind/ in your heart.
Above all, remember that what you’re doing is hard. Exploring our past, owning our present, and processing the how/why/and now what of our lives is the most important work we can do. Be patient and kind to yourself, knowing you’re putting in the sweat equity toward building a new way of moving through the world.
Discover Psychotherapy Programs at Hillside Cares
Through Hillsides Cares’ mental health programs in California, we feature a range of psychotherapies for adolescents and adults and treat myriad co-occurring and mental health disorders, including but not limited to:
- Anxiety Treatment
- Childhood Trauma
- Dissociative Disorders
- Social Anxiety
- Bipolar Disorder
- Dual Diagnosis
In customizing a mental health program, our trained therapists draw from multiple methodologies toward what most resonates. Together, we’ll do the work. Hillsides Cares you heal, grow, and change with psychotherapy programs tailored to each client’s unique needs. Call Hillsides Cares at 323.641.4842 to get started.