As a parent, you are most likely concerned about your child’s mental health. Bipolar disorder is an increasingly common mental health condition that affects adolescents, but it is treatable.
Understanding the basics of bipolar disorder can help you better care for your child and get them the treatment they need. At HillsidesCares, we provide a bipolar disorder treatment program in Los Angeles, California, for young individuals. Your child can learn to manage their condition and live a balanced life with our guidance and support.
Don’t hesitate to call us at 323.641.4842 to learn more about bipolar disorder in teens and children.
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition that affects mood and energy levels. Individuals with bipolar disorder experience episodes of mania and depression, which can last for days, weeks, or even months. Elevated mood, high energy levels, and impulsive behavior characterize manic episodes. In comparison, depressive episodes are characterized by sadness, low energy levels, and difficulty concentrating.
For teens with bipolar disorder, these mood swings can make functioning in school, relationships, and daily activities challenging. They may experience problems with behavior, emotion regulation, and anger management. If you’re concerned that your teen may have bipolar disorder, it’s essential to seek out professional support as soon as possible.
Understanding Diagnosis and Treatment Options for Your Child
Diagnosing bipolar disorder in teens can be challenging, as symptoms may overlap with other mental health conditions or be attributed to typical adolescent mood swings. However, a thorough mental health professional evaluation can help determine the correct diagnosis.
HillsidesCares offers evidence-based treatments such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) to help young people manage their symptoms. In addition, we provide family therapy to ensure everyone is on the same page regarding treatment goals and expectations.
We also offer other therapeutic modalities, including trauma-focused cognitive-behavioral therapy (TF-CBT) and Seeking Safety, to address co-occurring conditions and past trauma. LGBTQ+ youths are welcome at HillsidesCares and will receive affirmative and culturally sensitive services.
How to Support Your Child’s Mental Health
Supporting your child’s mental health involves proactive measures and open communication.
Here are some ways you can extend your support:
- Open dialogue – Maintain an open line of communication with your child. Encourage them to express their feelings and ensure them their feelings are valid.
- Educate yourself – Learn about bipolar disorder to better understand what your child is experiencing. The more you know, the more equipped you are to provide support.
- Encourage treatment – Encourage your child to actively participate in the treatment plan suggested by their healthcare provider. This includes attending therapy sessions and taking prescribed medication.
- Promote healthy habits – Encourage a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise, a balanced diet, and adequate sleep. These can significantly improve your child’s mental health.
- Provide a safe and stable environment – A stable, predictable, and safe home environment can help your child manage their symptoms better.
- Be patient and understanding – Remember that your child has a mental health condition. Be patient, empathetic, and understanding.
At HillsidesCares, we understand the unique challenges of treating bipolar disorder in teens and children. Our team of mental health professionals, counselors, and psychiatrists are here to help your child manage their condition and live a healthy life.
Call HillsidesCares for Bipolar Disorder Treatment for Your Child
Bipolar disorder in teens can be overwhelming and challenging, but it’s important to remember that you and your teen are not alone. HillsidesCares offers specialized mental health services for bipolar disorder and other mental health conditions in children and adolescents.
With compassionate care, evidence-based treatments, and support from skilled clinicians, your child can learn to manage their symptoms and thrive. If you’re looking for a bipolar disorder treatment program in Los Angeles, CA, contact us at 323.641.4842 to learn more about our services.